Should I get an architect to help with my house extension in the New Forest & Bournemouth area?

Laura Simpkins

by Laura Simpkins

30/12/2019, in New Forest & Bournemouth Blog

Should I get an Architect

You may not have considered that you would contact an architect for a small project such as a house extension. Aren’t they just for large new build developments?

Why Use an Architect in Hampshire or Dorset?

Architects are highly skilled and professionally trained to help you create your perfect home. When using a fully qualified architect you can be sure that they will have the following qualities:-

  • Honesty
  • Integrity
  • Competence
  • Concern for others
  • Concern for the environment

Architect’s Training

Architects train for 7 years:

  • 3 years degree known as Part 1
  • 1 year in industry
  • 2 years post grad known as Part 11 
  • 1 year in industry known as Part 111
  • Final exam to achieve professional qualifications

During this rigorous training, architectural students learn about: history of architecture, theory, services, structural engineering, landscape architecture, construction techniques, legal administration, practice management as well as developing drawings skills, communication skills and contract administration.

Formal Registration


ARB logo

Only Architects registered with the ARB (Architects Registration Board) can use the term Architect. Read our code of conduct.


riba logo


Only Architects registered with the RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) can use the term Chartered Architect. Read the RIBA code of conduct here.

Continuing Professional Development

Architects are required by their professional body to do continuous professional development to help them stay competent, professional, capable and resilient.

A chartered architect must undertake a minimum of 35 hours of CPD. Around half of the CPD should be structured learning. 20 of the 35 hours must come from the ten mandatory RIBA Core Curriculum CPD topics.


All qualified architects will carry professional indemnity insurance.

Who are the others?

Non architects tend to use terms like:

Plan drawer, space designer, architectural designer, architectural services.

Often the word ‘architectural’ is used in the place of ‘architect’. If this is the case be warned. The person you are dealing with may have no qualifications and will not be monitored by a professional body.

Architectural Technicians

An exception to the above are Chartered Architectural Technologists, MCIAT, who are qualified to offer design services and manage projects from inception to completion. They lead the technological design of a project; forming the link between concept, innovation and realisation.

Which Architect should I use in the New Forest & Bournemouth Area?

Laura Simpkins, Architect for Pride Rd New Forest & Bournemouth has been ARB and RIBA registered for the last 20 years, therefore is able to use the title Chartered Architect. She has lived in the New Forest since 2001 and has practiced architecture in Southampton, Romsey and Ringwood before starting her business with Pride Rd. Read more about her here.

Who are Pride Rd?

Pride Road Architects team

Pride Road are a group of Chartered Architects who specialise in domestic extension design. Read about the unique services we provide here. 

We work with Chartered Architectural Technologists to take projects through Planning and Building Regulations.

Choosing an accredited RIBA chartered architecture practice such as Pride Rd will give you peace of mind. We comply with strict criteria covering insurance, health and safety and quality assurance systems. And more importantly we are passionate about getting to the heart of your project and offering a service that is bespoke to you.